Green Schools is an international environmental education programme and award scheme promoting long-term, whole-school action for the environment.Since 2006 we have committed to developing An Taisce’s Green Schools Programme in an effort to become more environmentally friendly and reduce our carbon footprint. To achieve Green School status, schools have to complete four themes through seven steps. The themes are litter, energy, water and transport.
The first flag was awarded in 2007 after the theme, Litter was successfully completed. This included the development of recycling bins throughout the school and composting strategies put in place.
Between 2007 and 2009, the second theme, Energy, was completed. The students undertook a widespread advertisement campaign to highlight the need to lower our energy usage. We then moved on to successfully achieve our Water Flag.
In 2014-2015, we were awarded our fourth Green Fla for Sustainable Travel and we are currently preparing our application for fifth green flag for Biodiversity.
Loreto College Green School’s Code
- Everyone must make a difference
- Never throw litter on the ground
- Reduce, reuse and recycle
- It saves the earth and saves you pounds
- One change can mean an awful lot
- Never leave the water running
- Make sure your paper hits spot
- Energy efficiency is the key
- Never keep lights on that you don’t need
- Time to act before it is too late