What is the Leaving Cert Applied Programme?
- The Leaving Cert Applied is a 2 year programme aimed at preparing learners for adult and working life.
- It emphasises forms of achievement and excellence which the traditional Leaving Cert has not recognised in the past.
- It is designed for students who wish to follow a practical Leaving Cert with a vocational focus.
Who should apply to follow the LCA Programme?
- Someone who wants to stay in school and get a Leaving Cert.
- Someone who prefers learning by doing.
- Someone who is motivated by continuous assessment.
- Someone who wants to get work experience to help them with their career choice.
- Someone who is not quite ready for college or university and would like to progress to a PLC first
- Someone who is a very good attender and who will meet the 90% Attendance requirement of the Programme.
What is different about LCA?
- LCA 2 year programme is divided into 4 “Sessions”
- Sessions 1 and 2 are completed in Year 1.
- Sessions 3 and 4 are completed in Year 2.
- Students gain credits for completing key assignments that are handed up for assessment at the end of each
- Students will complete 7 tasks over 2 years.
- Course work is assessed continually throughout the two years.
- Students’ work and skill development is assessed in different ways- including interviews, written, oral and practical components.
What courses are on offer?
- English and Communications
- Mathematical Applications
- Information and Communication Technology
- Vocational Preparation and Guidance
- Gaeilge (year 1 or 2)
- Modern Language (year 1 or 2)
- Social Education
- Arts Education (Music)
- Leisure and Recreation
- Elective Modules
In addition to the above, students will complete two Vocational Specialisms.
- Craft and Design
- Hotel Catering and Tourism
- Hair and Beauty
*It is important to note that these may change from year to year*
We, in Loreto College, are delighted to have designed and developed a state of the art Hair and Beauty Room for 2021. This is a wonderful amenity for our students who may wish to progress into the beauty industry. Please see our Gallery section for photos!
We are committed to ensuring that every student in our LCA Programme completes the course and progresses into the next phase of their lives with a Leaving Cert qualification.
Past pupils of LCA have given the following advice: “It is really good because you get to work at your own pace.”
“Make sure you are in every day. Attendance is the most important part of LCA”
We advise: “When you are in, you win!”